Jenna Benna Bo Benna

She came into our lives 4/21/06, and I'll do my best to post pics, stories, and what she's learning about the world!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Our little piggy

Today we had the 2-week checkup (2 days early) and our little piggy weighs over 8 pounds! She's up 4 ozs from her birth weight. She is hungry all the time, it seems. We give her formula every night b/c she's hungry for more than I can give her. She usually takes 2 ozs at a time after I feed her, so I guess that's why she's been sleeping better at night lately too. Today she has been spitting up a LOT, which worries me, but I won't be too concerned unless it continues.

We have been doing a bad thing at night...she sleeps on one of us almost all the time. Jay has been staying downstairs with her most nights while I go to bed around 10 (bless him!!!) He'll get her to sleep usually within a couple of hours, and she sleeps for most of the rest of the night. She'll wake up (or we'll wake her up) to eat, but other than that, she's out. That's great, but the bad part is that we've created a habit that may be hard to break. Tonight we'll try to make her sleep in her bassinet, but we'll have to let her cry for a while. So far, we've learned that she won't quit crying on her own, unless one of us picks her up. So this should be a challenge. Ugggh

A nursing update--I seem to be producing less milk, not more. I feed her sometimes every hour and she's still hungry. Fortunately the mastitis situation is almost gone, but the feeding isn't going much better. But, since her doctor was so happy with her weight, we'll keep doing what we're doing. Her doctor also said again that if I want to quit breastfeeding and go to formula, that's fine too b/c formula is so good now, and that I shouldn't feel guilty about it. I'm going to stick out out for a while, but it's good to hear that from her doctor.

I'll have more pics to post, but I'll have to download them from the camera first. She's asleep on my chest while I'm slouched down typing, so I don't want to move. :) One more sad update--I'm nowhere NEAR being able to fit into pre-pregnancy clothes, so I'm still wearing either maternity clothes or big t-shirts. My stomach is not even the main problem--it's my thighs & my ass that are the problem. I still can't even wear my rings!

4 Comments:

At May 03, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Brigitte said...

Karen, she's not even two weeks old yet, no one normal would fit into pre-prego clothes yet. I'm surprised you even tried. I lived in pajamas for at least three weeks.

I am glad to hear she's gaining and doing well! I can't wait to meet her!

 
At May 03, 2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Chastity said...

You should try pumping after each feeding, even if you don't get much out each time. That's what I had to do, because I think my supply dwindled at first too. Now I just pump at night. I've actually contemplated just pumping and feeding her a bottle all the time, because right now I can't leave the house b/c she wants to eat so often.

 
At May 03, 2006 5:53 PM, Blogger Emmakirst said...

That's good that your mastitis is getting better. And that Jenna has gained some weight!

We have been doing the same thing with Ava. She's such a wonderful sleeper, WHEN SHE'S IN MY ARMS~ lol. Ahh we are suckers for punishment.

Remember Ava is 4 wks tomorrow, she's a whole month old on Saturday, and the fact that I was super sick with my crohn's during this pregnancy is half the reason I'm down to my pre-prego body. Although my stomach will never be something I'll be able to wear a bikini with in my life! It is so stretched, but that happened with my 2nd child. I gained over 80lbs with him and was GIGANTIC!~

Anyway, girly give it time, it took 9 months to put it on so it'll take a bit to get off. You are probably still retaining some fluid.

By the way, Jenna is gorgeous.

 
At May 05, 2006 10:04 AM, Blogger betsy said...

Yes, definitely give it some time to bounce the weight off...like EK said, it took 9 months to gain it, you cant expect it to drip off in 3 weeks!!! I say this because I FULLY intend on contining to wear these very same black yoga pants for another 6 or 7 months down the road! hahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home