Jenna Benna Bo Benna

She came into our lives 4/21/06, and I'll do my best to post pics, stories, and what she's learning about the world!

Monday, August 07, 2006

Bye, sweet boy


Today was (and still is) one of the hardest, most emotionally draining days of my life. We went ahead and had our beloved angel put to sleep. We knew we had to, and the longer we waited, the harder it would be. He has been the best friend, companion, and teddy bear that we ever could have asked for. The poor guy was dealt a bad hand in health, and he made a very bad decision. I already explained about the bad decision, mildly about the health, and mildy about the previous instances of aggression. What I didn't mention was how sweet he was. How he would lay his head on our laps and take a nap. How he would always put his paws on our left leg when we squatted down. How excited he got EVERY TIME we came home or every time someone knocked or rang the doorbell. How gentle he was when he took a carrot stick out of our hands (since that's the only treat he was allowed). How he wouldn't push a door open unless he could get through it without touching it (so we never worried about him getting into anything). How he would sit so good whenever we groomed brushed him. How he loved to hang his head out the car window, loved to run around at the lake, loved to chase birds and squirrels. He would always lay by my feet whenever I was on the computer. He was so, so soft. Softer than any other dog I've ever known. He always held his left ear up, even when his right ear was down.

When he was licking away my tears as I was saying goodbye to him, I thought about how I will remember him as the sweetest dog ever, but I will have to remember Speedy's face, and any future little face that will not get his teeth marks imprinted in it. I have to think of the kids who have been scared by him, and other kids (be it Jenna or anyone else) who won't be in the future. I have to remember that we spared him of all the pain he would have had to endure in the future. He no longer has to get 2 shots a day at the same time, doesn't have to be held back when he wants to play, and doesn't have to be kept inside while the other dogs are running around at the lake so he doesn't pee blood. Now he doesn't have to have the THIRD bladder surgery that he was supposed to have at any time. I have to think of all these things because I know we made the right decision and I know we're all better off.

Bye, sweet friend--we will miss you more than you'll ever know.

8 Comments:

At August 07, 2006 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen,
That is the sadest thing ever. I'm sure you love Jenna more than you could ever love an animal, but it doesn't matter when you have a decision this hard to make-he was you child for 6.5 years. My heart is breaking to think of him licking away your tears. We found out last week that Buddy has cancer and that will soon be something we will walk through also.
You and Jay are in our prayers. Please take care of yourselves. You two are going through some of the biggest life stressors right now: having a baby, moving, changing jobs, putting down a pet...it is almost more than some could handle, but I know God will be right there with you carrying you through all this change.

 
At August 07, 2006 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry.

 
At August 07, 2006 9:36 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

I'm so, so sorry. It was probably for the best, especially considering his health problems, but I know that doesn't make it any easier.

 
At August 08, 2006 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your sweet dog. We have 2 little dogs, and I know how much I love them.

I also had a baby girl in April! Doesn't time fly by? I can't it's been almost 4 months.

 
At August 08, 2006 9:22 AM, Blogger Silly Hily said...

Bless your heart. I'm so terribly sorry. I can't imagine what you must be going through. You seem to be doing your best though to think things through and realize that this probably is the best thing. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt though and for that I really am sorry.
I hope today is a better day for you.

 
At August 08, 2006 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo sorry. We just recently had to get rid of our dog ella because of aggression and fear with our baby. It's one of the hardest things ever, but I think the guilt if ella would have ended up biting our daughter,would be worse. I did grieve for awhile, and its hard when you think about all the little things you adored about the dog, but you did the right thing

 
At August 08, 2006 11:48 AM, Blogger Emmakirst said...

Awwww, so sorry about your dog. :(

 
At August 09, 2006 5:18 PM, Blogger Chastity said...

Aww...I'm so sorry you had to make that decision, but it sounds like you did the right thing. You just can't take any chances when it comes to the safety of your baby (or anyone else's).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home