Jenna Benna Bo Benna

She came into our lives 4/21/06, and I'll do my best to post pics, stories, and what she's learning about the world!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

The name dilemma

I'm not going to post the name that we have almost 100% picked out for baby girl, but most people who know me already know what it is. Why though, does EVERYONE and their dog want to know the name? We picked a name that we loved but that wasn't too common. We passed over other names we loved because we were afraid she'd end up with 5 other classmates with the same name. Now, when people ask and I tell them, they feel compelled to tell me about their friend/cousin/neighbor/sister's husband's neice who has the same name. I really don't want to know that because now I'm having fears that this may also becoming common. I kind of think that would happen with any name we pick though, because people like to tell me about anyone they have ever known who has that name. Just like when I tell them my due date, they tell me that's their grandmother's birthday or their parents' anniversary. I don't really think it would be all that special to have her born on the same day as the Kroger cashier's birthday, but that's just me. I guess people just get excited about it, and I should appreciate that.

As for being irritated--I have no problem telling friends & family what the name will be, but why do complete strangers or acquaintances always want to know? I know it's just curiosity and conversation, but if I say we haven't decided 100%, they ask what our favorites are. Is it rude to say I don't want to tell? Can I make up something like Anastasia or Beatrice? If I say we haven't picked a name, they look at me in shock and say I better hurry up. Well, I guess that would be my concern anyway, so maybe I'll stick to that. ???

6 Comments:

At March 09, 2006 4:37 PM, Blogger Emmakirst said...

I completely understand. I had a name that I was strongly considering for the baby, but when people would ask me the name and I would say, they would give me this look and say, "Really??" Then I figure if enough people are saying this, it's not a good idea to call baby this name. She'll probably be teased in school. So we changed our minds and have a name picked but won't tell anyone, not even anyone in the family. hehe. It irritates them to no end also, but I just tell them, hey we told you it's a girl, so we'll leave something as a surprise.

 
At March 09, 2006 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, don't you just wish you could tell people to shut the hell up and mind their own business? LOL that's not very nice. BUt it felt good to just type it. -Me

 
At March 09, 2006 9:28 PM, Blogger Chastity said...

We finally started telling people the name, and luckily I think we picked one that is fairly uncommon without being weird. Everyone always says something like "I don't think I know anyone with that name." I do recall a TV character with the name, but that's it. We have had a lot of name stories though when we've told our ideas for a middle name (which we haven't quite pinned down yet).

I can't stand the whole "my mom's birthday is April 10, maybe you'll have her one day early" or "my birthday is April 29, maybe she'll be late" comments. Why would I care if my baby was born on some random person's birthday??

 
At March 10, 2006 3:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was definitely overly annoying when complete strangers say "Oh, that's my birthday!" Or even co-workers tell you about it being their families b-day. I'm with you - Who cares? and Why would it matter? On the name, I love the one you've picked, stick with it (if you want my opinion)

 
At March 10, 2006 9:02 AM, Blogger betsy said...

Oh, now Im intrigued...I want to know the name too! =)

The other day I was out to lunch with the old biddies at work and some other tag-alongs, and one asked me what name we had picked out and I told her, and her response was, "oh".
OH?
WTF does that mean?

hahahaha

 
At March 10, 2006 12:52 PM, Blogger Brigitte said...

You can look up how popular a name is on the social security website; http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/.

I love the name ya'll have picked! Don't change it! :)

We didn't tell anyone about Barrett's name until he was born, and it irritated everyone we know. If we have another kid, we'll do the same thing again. I didn't want to know if someone hated the name. I figured once he was born and named, no one would tell me the negative!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home